Experience Sciatica Treatment from Our Hattiesburg Chiropractor
Research tells us as many as 40 percent of people will experience sciatica at least once in their lifetime. What is sciatica, and how can our chiropractor help you or your loved one find relief from leg and low back pain caused by this condition? At Spiers Chiropractic Pain & Wellness Center, we provide natural treatment for sciatica and would be honored to help you see how chiropractic care can help you start feeling better ASAP.
What Is Sciatica? Signs, Symptoms, and Causes
Sciatica is a syndrome caused by compression of the sciatic nerve where it exits the spinal cord in the lower back area. Typically, the sciatic nerve root will be pinched by an injured disc, a narrowed joint space (often caused by osteoarthritis or spinal stenosis), a bony cyst, or in rarer cases, a tumor. This can lead to irritation of the nerve tissue and cause a variety of clinical signs and symptoms along that nerve's innervation path (including the ipsilateral buttocks and leg). Classic signs and symptoms of sciatica include:
- Low back pain and stiffness, which often gets worse after prolonged sitting or standing
- Buttocks, groin, and leg pain that reaches all the way down to the foot (pain is often described as shooting, searing, stabbing, or burning)
- Weakness in a foot or leg
- Numbness and altered reflexes in the leg
Risk factors for sciatica include advancing age, obesity, sitting for too long, diabetes, having a physically demanding job, a traumatic accident, and/or performing a lot of repetitive bending and lifting.
How Our Chiropractor in Hattiesburg Provides Sciatica Treatment
If you believe you're experiencing sciatica, we encourage you to contact our chiropractor. He'll take you through a thorough physical exam to confirm a diagnosis, rule out other conditions, and identify any hidden contributing factors. Next, you'll receive an individualized sciatica treatment plan, which may include:
- Chiropractic care, such as spinal adjustments and non-surgical spinal decompression, to alleviate sciatic nerve compression and restore tissue healing
- Corrective exercises, featuring stretches and strengthening exercises to optimize core stability and relieve pain
- Postural re-training and other lifestyle interventions to help you avoid the risk of recurring problems
Is Sciatica Affecting Your Work and Leisure? Schedule a Chiropractic Care Appointment Today
Contact Spiers Chiropractic Pain & Wellness Center at 601-261-9495 to see how chiropractic care can help you heal from your sciatica and return you to the activities you love.